Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A great way to use up leftover boiled, baked or mashed potatoes. I love omelets and separately whipping the egg whites makes this light and fluffy despite the inclusion of potatoes. In case you're wondering about taste - imagine a cross between a knish and a souffle. Other herbs or grated onions might be good variations.
- 4 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 large potato, cooked and mashed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- salt and pepper
- Separate the eggs and beat the yolks. Add, the mashed potato to the yolks, mixing thoroughly. Add the lemon juice, chives, and salt and pepper.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg whites into the potato mixture.
- Melt the butter in a nonstick skillet or omelette pan over low-medium heat. Cook the omelet until golden (3-5 minutes), then run under the broiler to finish and puff the omelet.
- Serve immediately.
Yuck. This is probably the worst omelet I have ever made. Whisking the egg whites until stiff? My hand is still sore, and it didn't happen. I suggest all of you use a mixer for that. Takes 3-5 minutes to cook? I don't know what super oven and pan y'all use but that wasn't the case for me. It gets 2 stars because I like the basic idea of this. but i will be changing almost everything else about this recipe. Very bland!
This makes such a delicious omelette! It's also good if you top it at the last minute with a medium or sharp cheddar OR Swiss cheese, and then a dollop of sour cream and serve! YUMMY!
Lovely base recipe, I agree that this opens itself up to so many possibilities. I always like recipe where you beat the egg whites as it gives such a nice light texture and this is no exception. I don't know what a knish is but it was very similar to a souffle. I used instant potatoes as that's what I had and that seemed to work fine. Also added bacon and shredded mozzarella cheese and after thinking about it wish I'd also added green onion. Served with toasted french bread and hot coffee. I was looking for a differant omelet and this fit the bill. I followed all the cooking instructions exactly and it turned out great. Thanks Toni for a lovely breakfast.