1/2 Photos of Italian Peppers and Egg Sandwiches
These sandwiches are so good. I made them for a romantic breakfast in bed situation with very nice results but they would be just as good for lunch or a light dinner. The eggs are tender and creamy, the peppers and onions are slightly sweet and match well with the saltiness of the meat. And who doesn't love ciabatta? Fresh fruit is a nice accompaniment.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 3 ounces sliced prosciutto or 3 ounces sopressata or 3 ounces pancetta or 3 ounces salami, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese (can use softened whipped style cream cheese)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 loaf ciabatta, quartered and split
- 4 slices fontina or 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1Put bread pieces into warming oven until needed.
- 2In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onions and peppers until tender (about 10 minutes).
- 3Add prosciutto and cook 1 minute.
- 4Remove from heat and stir in basil.
- 5Keep warm.
- 6In large bowl, combine mascarpone, eggs, salt and pepper until completely blended.
- 7Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- 8When butter starts to foam, add egg mixture.
- 9Push eggs gently with a rubber spatula in a figure-8 motion forming soft curds. Cook until just set but still creamy and moist, about 7 minutes.
- 10Transfer eggs to bottoms of bread.
- 11Top with cheese slices.
- 12Spoon pepper mixture over cheese and top with remaining bread.
- 13Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Peppers and Egg Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.5
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 576.5 mg
- Sodium 588.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 24.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: