My sister gave me a cookbook back in the 60's that had this marvelous waffle recipe in it by Jackie Kennedy. Truly it is fit for our White House. I copied the recipe over many times, and like to use it for company or leisurely weekend mornings. One of the marvelous things about this recipe, is that the waffles freeze well. I bought a new Waffle iron, and the waffles fit into a (wide opening) toaster. I plan to make these for Christmas morning, and have it become a tradition.
- Cream butter with sugar.
- Add egg yolks and beat in thoroughly.
- Add flour and milk a little at a time.
- Add baking powder, stirring in carefully.
- Fold in stiff egg whites.
- Bake in hot waffle iron, until it stops steaming.
- Serve with butter, hot maple syrup, and fresh fruit.