1/2 Photos of Joe's Special
This can be served for brunch, dinner, or a midnight snack and should be served with sourdough toast and hot sauce. It is thought to originate in San Francisco but there are many different ideas as to who gets credit for it. This version is from Firehouse Food: Cooking with San Francisco's Firefighters
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil or 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry or 8 ounces fresh spinach, stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until it is evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a large bowl, draining and discarding the fat.
- 2Return the pan to the heat and add another tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute until golden and translucent, about 4 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the beef, leaving as much oil in the pan as possible.
- 3Add the mushrooms to the pan, along with the remaining tablespoon of oil, if needed. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 4Return the beef and onion to the pan with the mushrooms. Add the spinach, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, and nutmeg. Cook stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 5Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the eggs. Cook, stirring constantly, until the eggs are just set and soft-scrambled. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Joe's Special
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.4
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 285.2 mg
- Sodium 187.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 32.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning