peter murdock's Note:
This is a traditional British breakfast from colonial India and is a lovely little dish,with a nice balance of spicy and smoky flavours.It makes a tasty lunch or supper too -so get stuck in.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 eggs
- 680 g undyed smoked haddock fillets, pin bones removed
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 170 g long grain rice or 170 g basmati rice
- 110 g pure butter ghee
- 1 piece ginger, grated
- 1 medium onions or 1 bunch spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 cups fresh coriander
- 1 red chile, finely chopped
- 1TIP: ghee is butter with the milk proteins and salts removed,which means it is less likely to burn.
- 2Boil the eggs for 10 minutes.
- 3Hold under cold running water.
- 4Put the fish and bay leaves in a shallow pan with enough water to cover.
- 5Bring to the boil,cover,and simmer for about 5 minutes,until cooked through.
- 6Remove from pan and set aside.
- 7When cool enough to handle,remove skin from fish,flake into chunks and set aside.
- 8Cook the rice in salted water for about 10 minutes and drain.
- 9Refresh in cold water,drain again,and leave in the fridge until needed.
- 10Melt the butterghee in a pan over a low heat.
- 11Add the ginger,onion and garlic.
- 12Soften for about 5 minutes,then add the curry powder and mustard seeds.
- 13Cook for a further few minutes,then add the chopped tomatoes and lemon juice.
- 14Quarter the eggs.
- 15Add fish and rice to pan and gently heat through.
- 16Add the eggs,coriander and chilli and stir gently.
- 17Place in a warm serving dish.
- 18Mix the chopped coriander and natural yogurt,and serve with the kedgeree.
Nutritional Facts for Kedgeree
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 427.5
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 182.0 mg
- Sodium 110.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 27.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: