Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I recently discovered this recipe and it makes fantastic latkes!
Make and share this Kinder, Gentler Latkes recipe from Food.com.
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and just cover with cold water.
- Turn heat to high and allow to come to boil.
- As soon as potatoes are boiling, put a kitchen timer on for 10 minutes.
- When timer rings, remove potatoes from stove and cover with cold water.
- Drain immediately, then cover again with cold water.
- Let sit five minutes.
- Remove potatoes and pat dry.
- Using a hand shredder or food processor fitted with a medium disc, shred potatoes (with skins on).
- The potatoes should be slightly softened, but still firm enough to produce shreds.
- If the peel separates from the potato, discard it.
- If the peel gets grated in with the potatoes, incorporate it into the mixture.
- I like the hand grater best.
- When I use the processor, I use two thirds shredded then pulverized potatoes and one third shredded for a mixture than is bulky but still has shreds.
- Worth the trouble.
- In a large bowl, blend shredded potatoes, grated onion, beaten eggs, flour, salt, pepper and baking powder.
- Place newspaper on work surface (near frying area) and cover with a few paper towels.
- In a large deep skillet (I like to use a wok), pour in enough vegetable oil to fill about two thirds.
- If using an electric fry pan, set the temperature to 350 F.
- or 375 F.
- (depending on how fast you want the pancakes to cook).
- Drop potato batter by teaspoons (for small ones) or soup spoonfuls in dollops, flattening slightly with a metal spatula if desired.
- I use large metal tongs for dropping and turning.
- Brown one side, turn once, and complete cooking on other side.
- These cook quickly.
- You're looking for a puffy centre while retaining some crisp shreds of potato on edges.
- Serve immediately or freeze.
- To reheat, place latkes on a large wire cake rack on a cookie sheet.
- Warm at 250 F.
- until crisp.
- For freezing purposes, fry them a little underdone to allow for browning in the re-heating stage.
What a wonderful method for making potato latkes. Love the flavor and texture. The detailed instructions were very helpful too. I think the parboiling removes some of the heaviness of regular potato pancakes. My hand operated ricer worked perfectly for shredding the partially cooked potatoes. Served them with applesauce and sour cream. Will definitely make these again.