I recently discovered this recipe and it makes fantastic latkes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and just cover with cold water.
- 2Turn heat to high and allow to come to boil.
- 3As soon as potatoes are boiling, put a kitchen timer on for 10 minutes.
- 4When timer rings, remove potatoes from stove and cover with cold water.
- 5Drain immediately, then cover again with cold water.
- 6Let sit five minutes.
- 7Remove potatoes and pat dry.
- 8Using a hand shredder or food processor fitted with a medium disc, shred potatoes (with skins on).
- 9The potatoes should be slightly softened, but still firm enough to produce shreds.
- 10If the peel separates from the potato, discard it.
- 11If the peel gets grated in with the potatoes, incorporate it into the mixture.
- 12I like the hand grater best.
- 13When I use the processor, I use two thirds shredded then pulverized potatoes and one third shredded for a mixture than is bulky but still has shreds.
- 14Worth the trouble.
- 15In a large bowl, blend shredded potatoes, grated onion, beaten eggs, flour, salt, pepper and baking powder.
- 16Place newspaper on work surface (near frying area) and cover with a few paper towels.
- 17In a large deep skillet (I like to use a wok), pour in enough vegetable oil to fill about two thirds.
- 18If using an electric fry pan, set the temperature to 350 F.
- 19or 375 F.
- 20(depending on how fast you want the pancakes to cook).
- 21Drop potato batter by teaspoons (for small ones) or soup spoonfuls in dollops, flattening slightly with a metal spatula if desired.
- 22I use large metal tongs for dropping and turning.
- 23Brown one side, turn once, and complete cooking on other side.
- 24These cook quickly.
- 25You're looking for a puffy centre while retaining some crisp shreds of potato on edges.
- 26Serve immediately or freeze.
- 27To reheat, place latkes on a large wire cake rack on a cookie sheet.
- 28Warm at 250 F.
- 29until crisp.
- 30For freezing purposes, fry them a little underdone to allow for browning in the re-heating stage.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kinder, Gentler Latkes
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.2
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 413.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 7.8 g