We Southerners love our grits. This is an easy delicious casserole that makes a good side dish for dinner, brunch, or breakfast.
- Spray a 1 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and milk to a boil.
- Add in the soup mix and whisk until blended.
- Using a wooden spoon, slowly stir in grits; continue stirring until the consistency is smooth.
- Cook and stir grits for 5 minutes or until they are thick and creamy.
- Take saucepan from heat.
- In a small saucepan or skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Saute/stir onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes or until they are softened.
- Add onion-garlic mixture to grits; stir to combine.
- Add eggs and cheese to grits; stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish.
- Bake in a 350° oven for about 1 hour or until set.