Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
We Southerners love our grits. This is an easy delicious casserole that makes a good side dish for dinner, brunch, or breakfast.
- Spray a 1 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and milk to a boil.
- Add in the soup mix and whisk until blended.
- Using a wooden spoon, slowly stir in grits; continue stirring until the consistency is smooth.
- Cook and stir grits for 5 minutes or until they are thick and creamy.
- Take saucepan from heat.
- In a small saucepan or skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Saute/stir onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes or until they are softened.
- Add onion-garlic mixture to grits; stir to combine.
- Add eggs and cheese to grits; stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish.
- Bake in a 350° oven for about 1 hour or until set.
I made this for a work brunch and it was a big hit. I sprinkled some cheese on top, and was too lazy to add the garlic. The Knorr "secret ingredient" is what makes this recipe the BEST cheese grits casserole!
To Die For!! These are the best grits I've ever had. Everyone loved them. I baked them in a deep 10-inch pie plate so there was a lot of 'crust' to satisfy everyone. Next time I'm going to turn them into Southwestern grits and add jalapeños and cilantro. Thanks for a great recipe!
I wasn't a big fan of this, but DH really liked it. I think it would have been better if I had used a larger pan...the crusty part was the best, just didn't have enough of it.