The batter can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator for 3 weeks, so this can be done ahead of time. This also makes a great gift during the holiday season!
- Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in molasses. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Dissolve soda in buttermilk.
- Combine flour and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to bake. Batter can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 weeks.
- To bake, spoon batter into greased muffin pans, filling 2/3rd's full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.