Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a traditional Hungarian dish. My mother used to make it for supper when we were kids, although my kids like to have it for breakfast as well.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 -3 large onions, sliced
- 6 green peppers, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup diced mushroom
- 6 large tomatoes, cubed
- 6 eggs
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, melt the margarine.
- Sauté the onions, green peppers, zucchini and mushrooms until tender.
- Add the cubed tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Lower the heat and continue cooking until most of the liquid is reduced.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the salt and pepper and add to the vegetables.
- Stir until done.
- Serve over rice or in a pita.
Mmmm. This is traditional dish in Slovakia too. Mushrooms and zucchini are optional, but good. We like it just with bread. Many people prepare the onion-pepper-tomato mixture in larger amounts in summer and can it for later use. Good ripe tomatoes with strong taste are the key. For me, it`s a comfort food.
I cut this recipe in thirds, I used two green peppers, 1/2 cup onions, 2 small zucchini, 1/2 cup diced mushrooms, 1 large tomato and two eggs, salt and pepper and margarine. We just had homemade biscuits and mandarin oranges for dessert. Very good! My husband can eat this dish! I sprinkled a little Italian Seasoning before the liquid reduced. Thanks!