I made these for my youngest daughters class party last year and they were a big hit! I love the gentle lemon taste they have. Serve with soft light cream cheese for a real treat! These are great in a mini-muffin pan as well.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, beat yolks for about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Fold yolks into butter.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add 1/4 dry mixture to wet mixture alternatively with juice and peel.
- Mix until well blended.
- Continue to add dry to wet until it is all mixed in well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Fill muffin cups 1/2 full with batter.
- Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.