Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made these for my youngest daughters class party last year and they were a big hit! I love the gentle lemon taste they have. Serve with soft light cream cheese for a real treat! These are great in a mini-muffin pan as well.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, beat yolks for about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Fold yolks into butter.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add 1/4 dry mixture to wet mixture alternatively with juice and peel.
- Mix until well blended.
- Continue to add dry to wet until it is all mixed in well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Fill muffin cups 1/2 full with batter.
- Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
These are awesome, rich, flavour-packed muffins! I actually made them for a lemon-loving friend but I couldn't quit eating them!! Very moist & absolutely delicious!!
Amazing! I will definatly be making these again. Unfortuantly, I had to leave the zest out, because all I had was bottled lemon juice, but they still have a wonderful flavor, not too strong, but not too weak. The thickness of the batter surprised me, and it was hard to fold the egg whites in at first, but deffinatly worth any effort you want to put into these awesome muffins.
A few more steps than a traditional muffin recipe, but worth the work. The resulting muffins are delicate and tender with a light buttery lemon flavor. I baked the mini muffins for about 12 minutes in a convection oven. I added a little more cinnamon sugar after they were baked as well as before. Thanks for sharing!