1/3 Photos of Mediterranean Pie
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is a delicious savoury pie guaranteed to impress at a special breakfast or brunch! Its a favourite of Karen Brimacombe, one of the authors of the Best of Bridge series! Its too large a large pie for just the 2 of us - so I made half the recipe this morning in a Corning baking dish; it required 60 minutes of baking time. Editted to add comments: Since it would be easier to serve from a springform pan, I recently purchased a half-sized one from Dollarama!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 sweet red peppers, diced
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed & squeezed dry (I use my ricer)
- 2 (14 ounce) packages frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 12 ounces black forest ham, sliced
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- 8 eggs, beaten & seasoned with
- salt & pepper
- 1 egg, beaten (for glaze)
- 1Melt butter in skillet over medium heat; cook peppers, onions & garlic for about 12 minutes or until all liquid evaporates.
- 2Remove from heat & stir in spinach; set aside.
- 3Roll each piece of pastry to 1/8 inch thickness; use 1 piece to line a 10 inch springform pan, leaving excess draped over sides.
- 4Layer half the ham slices in the bottom, sprinkle half the cheese, spread half the veggies followed by the eggs.
- 5Repeat these layers.
- 6Cover with remaining pastry, trim off edges & pinch layers together; cut steam vents in the top & brush with egg glaze.
- 7Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet in the centre of a preheated 400F oven for 15 minutes.
- 8Reduce heat to 350F and bake for an additional 45 to 60 minutes or until top is golden & knife inserted in centre is hot when pulled out.
- 9Let cool for 15 minutes; remove pan sides & cut into wedges.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Pie
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 748.1
- Calories from Fat 455
- Total Fat 50.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 251.8 mg
- Sodium 1055.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 30.0 g