Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Best sandwich turned into baked squares. From 125th Anniversary Pennsylvania State Grange Cookbook.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix bisquick, egg, and milk. Combine. Spread HALF of dough into 8 inch square pan.
- Top with half of cheese, half of ham, half of turkey.
- Spread fruit spread within 1/2" of sides of pan. Top with remaining cheese, ham, and turkey.
- Spread remaining dough over this.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Better then a traditional Monte Cristo in that there is a ton less fat and calories. Also like that it is easier and much less messy then a traditional Monte Cristo to make. Thanks for sharing this update version of an old favorite.
I apparently put too much dough on the bottom and barely had enough for the top - which didn't turn out too badly. I liked this recipe. We don't eat ham, so I substituted peppered turkey for the ham. Made for ZWT4 - Chic Chefs. Thanks for the recipe!
This was pretty good. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the sort of doughiness using the Bisquick instead of using bread and frying it like a traditional Monte Cristo. This version is healthier though. Some people might question putting powdered sugar on ham/turkey and cheese, but the powdered sugar makes it really special! Thanks for posting!