Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This makes a great dish when you are having company over for a brunch, no fussing it's all done a day ahead --- plan ahead this casserole needs to be refrigerated overnight :)
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 11 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- salt (to taste, I use seasoned salt)
- coarse black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mild Italian sausage
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 5 eggs
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk or 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Butter bread with about 3 tablespoons soft butter (can use more).
- In a 10-12-inch skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter and brown mushrooms and onions, add salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook the sausage, cut into small bite-size pieces.
- Grease an 11 x 17" casserole dish.
- Layer one half of the bread slices in the bottom, then top with the mushroom mixture, sausage, then half of the cheese.
- Cover the sausage mixture with the remaining bread slices.
- Pour the egg/cream mixture over the bread slices.
- Top with remaining grated cheddar cheese (or you may sprinkle on the last 3 minutes of baking time if desired).
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator, overnight.
- The following morning/day, set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 1 hour or until bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
Kit Cal You always have great recipes. But in this one, I'm assuming that ingredients not used in instructions 1-6 go into the custard mix. I'm going to do this for Mother's Day. Wish me well.<br/><br/><br/>billl
yummy! it's very rich and filling.
LOVED IT! Kitten, another great recipe! I sauteed the sausage, mushrooms and onions up a few days and put in a large ziplock bag in the fridge. Then the night before I added the rest of the ingredients to the bag, and cooked it the next morning in the RV oven. Great camping recipe since it's so easy. I especially loved the combination of the mustard and nutmeg flavors. I was worried that there wasn't enough egg in the recipe, but it turned out perfectly. I changed the servings to 4 and wound up with 5 good-sized servings. I will definitely be making this again!