An old fashioned recipe for moist and delicious banana muffins. This is a family favorite, great for brunch, coffee hour or bake sales.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar (I use less about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (OR 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar and milk to make 1/2 cup.)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (to be added to buttermilk)
- 2 eggs, separated (place yolks in small bowl, in larger bowl beat egg whites to stiff peaks)
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- In small bowl prepare streusel topping by combining sugar and flour, cut in butter and set aside.
- In bowl, measure flour, baking powder and salt; whisk to mix and set aside.
- Separate eggs, yolks in small bowl, whites beaten to stiff peaks in a larger bowl; set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy, add egg yolks and vanilla extract mixing to blend.
- Add baking soda to the buttermilk, add to batter mix.
- Stir in mashed bananas.
- Add dry ingredients stirring until mixed, gently fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups two thirds full, topping with a sprinkling of the streusel topping mix.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven 20- 25 minutes or until golden brown; this varies from oven to oven.
My kids said these were an excellent muffin. I used 1 1/4 cup of sugar and added milk chocolate chips. I soured my milk with the vinegar as suggested. These made 18 muffins and they all wanted them in their lunch the next day. I was feeling a little lazy when I made these, so as another reviewer suggested, I just added my eggs in without separating. Thanks for the recipe.
We followed the recipe exactly and our muffins came out moist and very sweet. Great with a pat of butter! Thank you for a nice treat! Made for AZ/NZ swap Feb. 2009.
Absolutely wonderful muffins! Took your suggestion and added in about 1 1/4 cup sugar and it was perfect for us. Couldn't get hold of buttermilk, again followed your suggestion. I made half as is and the rest on DD's request, added in some chocolate chips. And to the streusel topping, I added in some chopped almonds. DH's comment, "This isn't your regular banana muffin recipe, is it?"!! Got thumbs up from all! Thank you, Gerry, for sharing another one of your wonderful recipes, this one is a keeper too!