1/6 Photos of Old Fashioned English Spiced Pork and Herb Sausages or Bangers!
French Tart's Note:
These traditional English sausages are spicy & so much better than the shop bought varieties. If you can get hold of sausage skins or casings, so much the better - but these sausages still taste great without them. They are great for breakfast, brunch, picnics, casseroles or a firm family favourite - "Bangers & Mash"! Try and use local organically produced pork for a superior flavour.They can be frozen before cooking & the mixture can be used for sausagemeat stuffing also.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces organic lean pork, minced
- 4 ounces pork belly, minced
- 2 ounces fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 onion, peeled & grated
- 1/2 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1/2 nutmeg, grated
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour
- 1 egg white, only
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1Combine all the meats with the fresh breadcrumbs, grated onion, lemon rind, nutmeg, parsley, dried herbs,pepper & salt. Mix well, it's better to mix this together with your hands.
- 2Bind with the 2 beaten eggs & mix well again.
- 3At this stage you can chill the sausage mixture in the fridge - it's easier to handle when it is slightly firmer. You can also use the mixture for stuffing at this stage too.
- 4When you are ready to cook the sausages or to shape them ready for freezing, form the mixture into sausage shapes - using a little flour to help you.
- 5Dip the sausages into the beaten egg white and then dust lightly with the flour and set aside until ready to cook.
- 6Heat up the oil and butter together in a large frying pan and cook the sausages for about 10-15 minutes over a medium heat. Turn them regularly to ensure they brown evenly.
- 7Drain them on a paper towel & serve hot with mashed potatoes & onion gravy for "Bangers & Mash" or use them in Toad-in-the-Hole as well as serving them for cooked breakfasts & brunches. They are delicious served cold with chutney too.
- 8HERBS NOTE:.
- 9I generally use a pre-mixed home-made dried mixture of Sage, Parsley, Thyme & Majoram. However any combination of dried herbs would be good - but NOT Rosemary as it is too pungent & will overpower the other flavours. One herb which is ALWAYS a must no matter what combination you use, is Sage - it has a wonderful affinity with pork & pork sausages in particular! I also use fresh herbs when they are available in my herb garden. Use at least double the quantity of fresh herbs as they are not as strong as dried herbs. Chop or mince very finely. Hope that helps!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned English Spiced Pork and Herb Sausages or Bangers!
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 596.1
- Calories from Fat 383
- Total Fat 42.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 238.4 mg
- Sodium 302.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 35.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of