A classic old fashioned recipe because you cook the apple filling before adding it to the cake. We loved it!
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped apples
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour (all purpose or whole wheat)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 -2 teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F; grease a 12-cup Bundt pan or a 10x4-inch tube pan.
- Prepare apple-nut filling: Cook all ingredients, except nuts, over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until apples are tender. This will take approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in nuts. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed, 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat well between each addition on low speed.
- Spread 1/3 of the batter (about 2 cups) in the baking pan. Top with 1/3 of the filling. Repeat this pattern 2 more times, until all batter and filling have been used.
- Bake at 325°F for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then turnout onto a serving plate and cool completely.
- To prepare glaze: Mix all ingredients until smooth, then drizzle over cooled coffee cake.