A classic old fashioned recipe because you cook the apple filling before adding it to the cake. We loved it!
- 354.88 ml chopped apples
- 78.07 ml packed brown sugar
- 14.79 ml flour
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 0.59 ml salt
- 118.29 ml finely chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 177.44 ml butter, softened
- 7.39 ml vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 709.77 ml flour (all purpose or whole wheat)
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 3.69 ml salt
- 354.88 ml sour cream
- 118.29 ml powdered sugar
- 1.23 ml vanilla
- 4.92-9.85 ml milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F; grease a 12-cup Bundt pan or a 10x4-inch tube pan.
- Prepare apple-nut filling: Cook all ingredients, except nuts, over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until apples are tender. This will take approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in nuts. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed, 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat well between each addition on low speed.
- Spread 1/3 of the batter (about 2 cups) in the baking pan. Top with 1/3 of the filling. Repeat this pattern 2 more times, until all batter and filling have been used.
- Bake at 325°F for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then turnout onto a serving plate and cool completely.
- To prepare glaze: Mix all ingredients until smooth, then drizzle over cooled coffee cake.