1/3 Photos of Orange Cranberry Bread
1 hr 30 mins
This is a quick bread made with cornmeal, adapted from a Williams-Sonoma holiday cookbook. They suggested serving it as a bread with your holiday meal, but we've always liked it for breakfast during the holiday season. Eat plain, or toast individual slices in your toaster oven (it's too crumbly for a regular toaster) and top with butter and orange marmalade. Yum! Because of the cornmeal, the bread has a bit of a crunch to it when toasted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries or 1 1/2 cups frozen cranberries
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 325.
- 2Grease an 8x5 or 9x5 loaf pan. Cut a piece of wax paper or parchment paper to line the bottom of the pan, then grease the bottom again. (otherwise your lovely loaf might stick to the pan!).
- 3Sort the cranberries and discard any soft ones. Coarsely chop the cranberries (I pulse a couple of times with my food processor) and place in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the orange zest & 1/2 cup of the sugar and heat slowly just to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Set aside to cool.
- 4In a bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder & baking soda.
- 5In a separate bowl combine the butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Beat until light & fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg.
- 6Stir in half the flour mixture, and then the orange juice & water. Stir in the remaining flour mixture and then the cooled cranberry mixture. Don't overmix.
- 7Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 55-60 minutes.
- 8Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack, peel the wax paper from the bottom of the loaf, and cool completely. Slice & serve.
- 9Note: This recipe doesn't double well. The batter is light & airy, and too voluminous even for my Kitchenaid stand mixer. If I want to make 2 loaves, I mix them up separately. But I put each loaf in the oven as soon as it is mixed up because the baking powder is already activated. Then I know if, for example, 10 minutes have passed before the 2nd loaf goes in, I will pull the 1st loaf out when the timer goes off, then set the timer again for another 10 minutes for the 2nd loaf.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Cranberry Bread
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.8
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 203.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of