Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is different than your average breakfast casserole. It is so yummy and easy to put together. You can easily make this into a light dish by substituting egg beaters and light cheese. I've made it both ways and both are equally good! Also, if you cut the recipe in half, use 2 whole eggs and 1 egg white. If you're a vegetarian, this is also good without bacon!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices French bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, dried
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, drained
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheese (i use cheddar, monterrey jack, or colby jack)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard or 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- Butter the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan. Place bread cubes into pan, followed by bacon, spinach, and mushrooms. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Beat eggs together with milk, salt, and mustard. Pour over bread mixture.
- Cover pan tightly and refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours.
- When ready to cook, remove pan from fridge and let sit at room temperature while oven preheats.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35 minutes.
I made this with fresh spinach and used sauteed veggies instead of mushrooms and omitted the bacon. A very nice make ahead breakfast.
I made this recipe for a weekend at the beach with friends. I was able to prepare the bacon and measure out all the ingredients to take along so all I had to do was assemble it before going to bed. It was so easy and the ingredients simple. Everyone LOVED it! I can't wait to try the low fat version.