Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is different than your average breakfast casserole. It is so yummy and easy to put together. You can easily make this into a light dish by substituting egg beaters and light cheese. I've made it both ways and both are equally good! Also, if you cut the recipe in half, use 2 whole eggs and 1 egg white. If you're a vegetarian, this is also good without bacon!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices French bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, dried
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, drained
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheese (i use cheddar, monterrey jack, or colby jack)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard or 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- Butter the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan. Place bread cubes into pan, followed by bacon, spinach, and mushrooms. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Beat eggs together with milk, salt, and mustard. Pour over bread mixture.
- Cover pan tightly and refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours.
- When ready to cook, remove pan from fridge and let sit at room temperature while oven preheats.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35 minutes.
I made this with fresh spinach and used sauteed veggies instead of mushrooms and omitted the bacon. A very nice make ahead breakfast.
I made this recipe for a weekend at the beach with friends. I was able to prepare the bacon and measure out all the ingredients to take along so all I had to do was assemble it before going to bed. It was so easy and the ingredients simple. Everyone LOVED it! I can't wait to try the low fat version.