1/1 Photo of Pa's Old-Fashioned Johnny Cake / Cornbread
The plain version was a staple during my dad's Depression-years childhood; but we rarely had it when I was growing up. My children expect this at least once a month as a regular feature on our Saturday morning breakfast menu OR when we have breakfast-for-supper. Prepare the optional sausage and hard-boiled eggs ahead of time, and it goes together quicker-n-anything!
My Private Note
large c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 425; grease a 13x9 pan.
- 2Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl, stir through, make a well in the center.
- 3In another bowl, add eggs, milk, and oil all at once; blend well.
- 4Add wet to dry ingredients, stir until moistened (don't over-mix or you'll be sorry!).
- 5Fold in optional ingredients. Sausage should be in crumbles or bite-size pieces.
- 6Pour into prepared pan; rap pan on counter-top several times to bounce out the air-bubbles.
- 7Bake for 25-30 minutes--top will be golden-brown.
- 8Serve with butter and maple syrup.
- 9OPTION #1: Add 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese.
- 10OPTION #2: Add 1/2 - 1 cup of sweet corn (plain kernels); adds a neat "chewy" texture to the 'cake.'
- 11OPTION #3: Add 6 hard-boiled, chopped eggs.
- 12OPTION #4: Add 1 pound fried & drained pork sausage (crumbled) or links (bite-size).
- 13TIME-SAVING HINT: Gather a handful of 1-quart zipper bags, fill with DRY ingredients, and store in your cupboard. At meal-time, add wet ingredients as described.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pa's Old-Fashioned Johnny Cake / Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 589.9
- Calories from Fat 299
- Total Fat 33.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 101.5 mg
- Sodium 639.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 10.8 g