Cook1 hr 20 mins
If you're tired of the commercial granola bars, give this one a try. The manager at the gym I go to recommended this recipe and a friend was kind enough to make a batch for me. Delicious. (Original source appears to be a magazine, though I don't know which one.)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line an 8 inch square baking pan with two criss-crossed rectangles of parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang at opposite ends.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds and cranberries.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together oil, brown sugar, peanut butter, cinnamon, salt and water over low heat until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Let cool slightly; whisk in egg white.
- Pour over oat mixture; stir until moistened.
- Spread evenly in bottom of pan; smooth top.
- Bake until top is firm, about 30 minutes. Note: The firm top is your best indicator that it's ready - if it's too soft the granola will be crumbly, if it's too hard it will be too brittle.
- Let cool 10 minutes.
- Lift out of pan, using paper as handles.
- Let cool completely, cut into bars with a serrated knife.