Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is from the September 7, 2005 edition of the food section of the Chicago Sun-Times. Enjoy!
Pear and Ginger Sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 large ripe pear, peeled, cored, seeded, and diced fine
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small pear, very ripe, peeled, cored, seeded, and minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- vegetable oil
- To make sauce:.
- Stir cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water in a cup.
- Pour into a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Stir in pear, crystallized ginger, cinnamon, sugar, and salt.
- Cover and simmer for five minutes or until pear is tender and pulpy.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Set sauce aside.
- To make pancakes:.
- Stir together milk, melted butter, and egg in a small bowl.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a larger bowl.
- Pour in milk mixture.
- Mix just to combine ingredients.
- Don't beat.
- Stir in pear and pecans.
- Coat a griddle or large heavy-bottomed skillet with oil.
- Heat over medium heat for thirty seconds.
- Add batter by 1/4 cup measure.
- Cook pancakes until bubbles form on surface and edges are browned.
- Flip over and cook second side until golden brown.
- Drizzle ginger and pear sauce over pancakes and serve warm.
Lovely pancakes...I used ground ginger for the sauce but it made it quite bitter, so I added golden syrup to it and that solved the problem. Next time I'll have to get my hands on some crystallized stuff!
Really good! I substituted 1 tablespoon of ground up flax seeds and 1 tablespoon water for the egg and margarine for the butter. I also increased the baking powder to 2 teaspoons. Nice change from regular pancakes!
Loved these hanna! Very easy and yummy. Even though I forgot the egg, they still turned out great. Also used canned pears, fresh ginger and added a little extra sugar (because I ran out of the other). But I am sure they would be good with powdered ginger as well.