Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
There may be other recipes that look similar to this, but none with these proportions - which are what make it outstanding. 3 matzah for 4 eggs! This is a basic recipe which you can add different vegetables to if you wish, or sauteed onions, but these are the proportions that will make the best matzo brei ever! I could eat this all year long, though my cholesterol would be through the roof!
- Break the matzos in half, then half again, and soak them in hot water for a couple of minutes.
- Remove them and with your hands, squeeze out as much water as you can (kids love to do this!).
- Beat the eggs lightly with salt in a mixing bowl, and add the matzo and mix.
- Heat the butter in a heavy skillet and when it starts to turn brown, add the mixture.
- Either leave the mixture to set on the bottom and then turn as you would a pancake (that's how I have it); or, stir with a wooden spoon as you would for scrambled eggs.
- The matzo brei will be ready in about 5 minutes, depending on how well done you like your eggs (I like it more done and I need about 7-8minutes).
- Serve immediately with jam and/or sour cream.