My mother used to make this for us kids when we were growing up. Now I make it when I need a switch up from the ordinary breakfast. I've heard people call these "egg-in-the-holes", but I prefer pig eyes! All you need is some bread, eggs, and some other odds and ends that you probably have in your kitchen. The best part is dipping the crispy center cut-out in the yolk (cook a little longer if you don't like runny yolk). Definately a family favorite!
- Heat frying pan on medium-high, and coat pan with about half of the butter.
- Spread each slice of bread with butter on one side and place in pan, buttered side up.
- Cut a hole in the middle of each slice of bread using a small sized glass about 2 inches in diameter (wiggle and press down to cut hole). Remove cut-outs and place in pan. If they don't fit, then save to cook afterwards.
- Crack one egg into each slice of bread, and sprinkle with cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook about one minute, or until egg white is almost cooked through.
- Flip each slice over and cook until desired doneness. Served with fried egg-hole cut outs to dip into yolk.