1/5 Photos of Poached Eggs New Orleans
Poached eggs New Orleans is poached eggs served with a lovely Choron Sauce. Choron sauce is basically a Béarnaise sauce (or sometimes Hollandaise is used) with a tomato puree added. It was created by Alexander Etienne Choron, a French chef from Caen who was chef de cuisine at the famous Voisin restaurant in Paris during the late 19th century. To clarify butter, see Clarified Butter (How to Clarify Butter)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 6 ounces clarified butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled seeded and finely chopped (or 1 cup tomato sauce, made fresh with vine-ripe tomatoes works wonderfully)
- 1CHORON SAUCE: In a heatproof bowl whisk egg yolks with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice until thick and pale. Set bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring constantly, until warm but not hot.
- 2Stir in butter, a few tablespoons at a time, until all butter is incorporated. Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens enough to lightly coat back of a spoon.
- 3Remove from heat and stir in remaining lemon juice, Tabasco, salt, pepper and cayenne, to taste. Fold in tomatoes. Makes About 2 cups.
- 4POACHING EGGS: In a shallow saucepan or skillet bring 2 inches cold water and vinegar to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat until water simmers gently.
- 5Break eggs, one at a time, into a ramekin or coffee cup; holding ramekin as close as possible to water, gently slip egg into water. Poach eggs 3 minutes for very soft-cooked, 5 minutes for medium-soft.
- 6Using a slotted spoon, scoop out eggs and place onto toast (which is on warmed plates). If necessary, gently pat eggs dry with paper towels.
- 7Season with salt and pepper. Spoon several spoonfuls Choron sauce over eggs and decorate with parsley and green onions.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poached Eggs New Orleans
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.4
- Calories from Fat 383
- Total Fat 42.6 g
- Saturated Fat 24.3 g
- Cholesterol 397.3 mg
- Sodium 985.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 10.8 g