Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe is from global-recipes.com
Make and share this Portuguese French Toast recipe from Food.com.
- 5 eggs
- 946.36 ml skim milk
- 59.14 ml white sugar
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 4.92 ml orange zest
- 453.59 g portuguese sweet bread
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350°F Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange rind in a medium mixing bowl.
- Cut the bread into seven or eight slices and lay them overlapping in a large baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread, covering every slice.
- The bread should not be entirely submerged though; the higher parts should become toasted and crispy.
- Dot the bread with the butter. Bake the French toast in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes until the custard is set.
- Serve immediately.
This was one of the best baked french toast recipe I've made, and it didn't even need to sit overnight! A friend gave me a loaf of sweet bread and this was a great way to use part of it... I halved the recipe in an 8x8 dish which gave 4 nice size servings. I upped the amount of orange zest and the flavour was wonderful. Thanks for posting!
Seems like I'm making French toast nowadays with almost anything but French bread, & enjoying it all, as we did with this recipe! My first time using this kind of bread, & it's definitely a winner! The only change I made was to add an additional amount of the orange zest! A keeper of a recipe, for sure! Thanks for posting it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Very nice French Toast! I've never baked a french toast before and this was really good. I scaled this down to a single serving and enjoyed the subtle orange flavor. Topped with a little syrup this made a great breakfast - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for the Top Favorites of 2009 event