1/1 Photo of Pot O' Gold Scones
Golden raisins are the featured fruit in these tender, tasty scones, made with good-for-you white whole wheat flour. Substitute the dried fruit of your choice, for the raisins and/or the nuts; use a generous 2 cups of whatever fruit/nut combination you choose.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour, organic preferred
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 cups golden raisins
- 2/3 cup diced walnuts or 2/3 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cold orange juice
- 1/3 cup cold milk or 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2coarse white (sparkling) sugar, optional
- 3Preheat the oven to 375°F Lightly grease an 8-wedge scone pan, or line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 4TO MAKE DOUGH:
- 5In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and fruit/nuts.
- 6Cut the butter into pats, and work it into the dry ingredients to make an unevenly crumbly mixture.
- 7In a medium-sized measuring cup, whisk together the orange juice, milk or half and half, vanilla, and eggs.
- 8Reserve out 1 tablespoon of the mixture, then add the remainder to the dry ingredients all at once, mixing just until the dough comes together.
- 9Press the dough into the cups of the scone pan, filling them all the way. Or, using a muffin scoop or spoon, drop the dough by 1/4-cupfuls onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1 1/2 inches between the scones. Brush with the reserved 1 tablespoon of the milk mixture, and sprinkle the tops with coarse white sugar.
- 10TO BAKE THE SCONES:
- 11Bake the scones for 20 to 22 minutes, until they're starting to brown on top. Remove them from the oven, and serve warm, with jam and butter; or with fruit curd and English clotted cream or double Devon cream.
- 12To serve later, reheat scones, wrapped loosely in aluminum foil, for 8 to 10 minutes in a 350°F oven.
- 13Yield: 8 wedge-shaped scones from a scone pan, or 12 round drop scones.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pot O' Gold Scones
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.3
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 74.6 mg
- Sodium 399.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 23.6 g
- Protein 9.0 g