Try this for breakfast: creamy mashed potato, with tangy Sauerkraut and smoky bacon in a pattie! Adapted from a recipe on the Simply Great Recipes website. The original recipe is obviously an Edgell recipe and listed in the ingredients 1 cup (100g) Edgell Instant Mash. Zaar would not accept this as an ingredient, so I have replaced it with 2 cups of mashed potato. If you do track down - or regularly use - Edgell Instant Mash, the step now removed from the instructions is "In a medium bowl combine the Edgell Instant Mash and 1 1/4 cups of boiling water". To use canned instant mash would obviously be a time-saver! Depending on whether cream or milk has already been added to the mashed potato, you may like to add some in step 2.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sour cream (your mashed potatoes may already be adequately creamy) (optional)
- 410 g edgell sauerkraut, well drained
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste (depends on how much salt has already been added to the potato and sauerkraut)
- 2 tablespoons oil, for cooking
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large (preferably non-stick) pan, add the bacon and cook for about a minute, then add the onions and cook for another minute, or until the onion is just beginning to soften. Put the pan aside for use later in cooking the patties.
- In a medium-to-large bowl, combine the mashed potato, (optional) sour cream, the well-drained Edgell Sauerkraut, the egg, the cooked onion and bacon, the brown sugar, the caraway seeds and freshly ground black pepper, and (if necessary) salt, and mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Shape the mixture into 1/2 cup patties. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan used for cooking the bacon and onions, add the patties and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve as part of a "big breakfast" or with barbecued sausages.
- TIP: Chopped fresh herbs such as parsley or thyme can be added in step 2.