The name says it all! I've been on a major oatmeal kick lately and wanted to create something that had just enough protein AND still very tasty! I use half a serving of Syntax Vanilla Bean protein powder with this recipe which has 12g of protein, as that is plenty of protein at one time for me - 1/2 a scoop measures a slightly heaping 1/8 cup. Your 'scoop' might be different sized - if you change the volume of the powder, you'll need to adjust the water accordingly. Don't skip the flaxmeal, I think its really important for the texture and flavor! I think you could use frozen blueberries, although I haven't tried it, just be sure to return your oatmeal to the microwave after adding them to warm them up. I usually don't add sugar or milk to my oatmeal and didn't include them in the recipe, but feel free to do so.
- Combine oats, flax and cinnamon. Add water and mix well. Don't add the protein powder or it will become overcooked-yick!
- Microwave for one minute. **Microwave times given are for a 1300wt microwave, you will probably need more time if you have a smaller wattage microwave.**.
- Remove bowl from microwave and stir in protein powder.
- Return to microwave and set timer for 2 minutes, stirring every 20-30 seconds until your desired consistency is reached. *Watch carefully because the protein powder will puff and you don't want a mess!
- Add blueberries and stir - I like warm blueberries so I return the bowl to the microwave for another 15-20 seconds.
- Sprinkle with a little cinnamon.
Great oatmeal! Nutritious and filling. No need for added sweetner! I used quick cooking oats, so only needed 2 min. cook time in the microwave. I enjoyed the flavor combos!
Very quick for a power packed nutritious breakfast. I made on the stovetop, as written, except for adding some honey. My protein powder is plain, so like other reviewers added a touch of vanilla. Considering this is made with water, it's quite creamy....although next time I'd probably do half soy milk, half water. Like the blueberry cinnamon combo!
Omg I love this recipe. I think I have made it like 5 days in a row so far and I love it because I put my vanilla protein powder in it!!!!! I will never get tired of this tasty oatmeal ==^.^==