Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a beautiful presentation for an omelet. It doesn't look like scrambled eggs! Try with you favorite filling and toppings
- In a large bowl, let egg whites warm to room temperature about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- On high, beat egg whites with mixer with cream of tartar just until stiff peaks form when beaters are slowly raised.
- In small bowl, using the same beaters, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add salt, pepper, and milk gradually, beat until well combined.
- With a wire whisk or rubber spatula gently fold egg yolk mixture into the egg whites just until combined.
- Slowly heat a 9-10" heavy skillet with heat resistant handle, or an omelet pan.
- (To test temperature sprinkle a little cold water on skillet. Water should sizzle and roll off in drops).
- Add butter and oil; heat until it sizzles briskly-it should not brown.
- Tilt pan to coat side with butter mixture.
- Spread egg mixture evenly in pan; cook over low heat, without stirring, until lightly browned on underside-about 10 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to oven, bake 10-12 minutes or until top seems firm when gently pressed with fingertip.
- To serve, fold omelet in half.
- Turn out onto heated serving platter.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
This was a delightful Sunday breakfast! It was really easy to make and looked great, all puffed up in my pan. I also turned the grill on at the very end, just to brown the top of the omelet, and served it with salsa. Yummy!
WOW!!!!! Followed the recipe exactly however cooked it in 2 8" fry pans and served to 2 hungry men. (Yep, I did get a bite.) They were raving about it as they ate. They were SO puffy didn't think I was going to be able to add any fillings. Used a sharp serrated knife to cut just off center, added all the requested goodies (sauteed red bell pepper, green onions, cheese and sausage) , topped with fresh chopped parsley and delivered. Will definitely put this into my breakfast routine. Thanks, Tish, for a fun, easy and gorgeous recipe!
I cut the recipe in half and just used 3 egg whites with mine, and added cheese. Turned out great. 1 and 1/2 inches high!