This recipe is from the Brass Lantern Inn in Searsport, Maine. I love the snap of the crystalized ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger (non-sulphured)
- In large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Beat the margarine, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a medium-sized bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and pumpkin.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk, blending well.
- Fold in the chopped ginger.
- Fill paper-lined or greased muffin pans three fourths full.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes.