Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so easy, delicious & healthy! We tried this with raspberries & didn't like it as much. I found this on a vegetarian website & made a few minor adjustments. Enjoy! Your cholesterol levels will thank you, lol.
- 5 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups steel cut oats
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups blueberries (1 bag frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Bring water to a rapid boil.
- Stir in oats, lemon zest, cinnamon, flaxseed, & nutmeg. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is the consistency you like.
- Add blueberries & cook 5 minutes longer. Add walnuts, shut off the heat, put the lid on & let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy! We do sprinkle a little vanilla sugar on ours. ;).
I'm a bit of a sweet tooth so this was just okay for me, a bit too bland until I stirred through some vanilla yoghurt to sweeten and add more flavour. I usually cook my oats in milk & I think I'll be sticking to that method as the water doesn't really give it the creamy texture I'm used to.
I used fresh blueberries and they didn't "pop" and turn the oatmeal purple. The second time I tried adding them early, when the water was boiling and they still remained whole. I crushed them with a potato/avocado masher which worked great, and also added brown sugar near the end to melt in, since the fresh blueberries were a little tart.
I reduced this to make 2 servings for DH and me this morning. What is not to like? Each serving was topped off with a touch of brown sugar. A hearty, healthy breakfast treat. Made for *Aussie Swap*