Put a twist to your Saturday morning breakfast! I discovered this recipe accidentally while preparing brunch for my boyfriend... they are sooo yummy! I made a colourful plate for him and have a very happy boyfriend :-)
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, beat egg till fluffy using a wisk or fork.
- Add vanilla bean and continue beating until the vanilla seeds visibly changes the colour of the egg. Remove remainder of vanilla bean.
- Little by little add milk, dry ingredients, and melted butter by the tablespoon while continuing mixing.
- Fold in the strawberries, lemon rind, and juice. Watch the batter turn purple.
- Heat a non-stick (teflon) pan on medium. (It is the right heat when you drop some water on the hot dry pan and see it "dance" for a few seconds before it evaporates.) Add 1-2 tablespoons of canola oil for frying each time.
- Use a disher style ice cream scoop, scoop pancake batter for frying. Turn over with wooden spoon when lumpy bubbles are all over the pancake.
- Serving suggestion: I topped mine with fresh strawberries, kiwi, mangoes, and chocolate syrup. Try also berry jam or ice cream, and finish with unsweetened tea or coffee.