Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Put a twist to your Saturday morning breakfast! I discovered this recipe accidentally while preparing brunch for my boyfriend... they are sooo yummy! I made a colourful plate for him and have a very happy boyfriend :-)
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup fresh strawberries, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and rind of
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, beat egg till fluffy using a wisk or fork.
- Add vanilla bean and continue beating until the vanilla seeds visibly changes the colour of the egg. Remove remainder of vanilla bean.
- Little by little add milk, dry ingredients, and melted butter by the tablespoon while continuing mixing.
- Fold in the strawberries, lemon rind, and juice. Watch the batter turn purple.
- Heat a non-stick (teflon) pan on medium. (It is the right heat when you drop some water on the hot dry pan and see it "dance" for a few seconds before it evaporates.) Add 1-2 tablespoons of canola oil for frying each time.
- Use a disher style ice cream scoop, scoop pancake batter for frying. Turn over with wooden spoon when lumpy bubbles are all over the pancake.
- Serving suggestion: I topped mine with fresh strawberries, kiwi, mangoes, and chocolate syrup. Try also berry jam or ice cream, and finish with unsweetened tea or coffee.
I'm sorry to say that these pancakes did not turn out well for me. They were heavy and dense, and the flavor was surprisingly bland. I did decrease that amount of baking powder and still found it overpowering. Made for Think Pink /09
Not only were these delicious, but much fun watching the color change! Topped with sweetened strawberries. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Ms. Kilroy. Made for PAC Fall 2009.