William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
These Blintsi are a light type of very thin pancake. They have been a tradition in our Russian family for over 100 years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, add milk then mix in flour half a cup at a time, beating well with an electric mixer after each addition or until mixture is well blended and smooth.
- 2Add salt and mix well.
- 3Add 1 egg at a time and beat well to mix after each addition.
- 4Add sugar and beat again.
- 5Add 3 tablespoons melted butter and beat again.
- 6Mix baking soda in about 1 tablespoon of milk, add to batter and lightly beat again.
- 7Add baking powder and mix lightly until blended.
- 8Let batter sit for about 5 minutes before using.
- 9Batter consistency should be like whipping cream.
- 10Preheat a 10 inch heavy bottom, shallow fry pan to medium-high heat.
- 11Rub fry pan with vegetable oil before cooking each blintsi.
- 12Pour about 1/2 cup batter onto fry pan and quickly spread over fry pan by shaking fry pan in a circular motion.
- 13Cook until edges just start to brown and lightly curl, about 1 minute.
- 14Turn blintsi over and cook an additional 15 to 20 seconds.
- 15Adjust heat temperature to suit the type of fry pan you are using.
- 16Remove blintsi from fry pan, fold in half and wipe blinsti with melted butter.
- 17Although the blinsti taste best if served immediately, you can cook them ahead of time and place in a preheated 275 F oven to keep warm.
- 18Serve with syrups or jams of your choice.
- 19If desired, use chopped fresh strawberries or blueberries along with a dollop of sour cream, or plain yogurt or whipping cream.
- 20You can also simply sprinkle blintsi with lemon juice and some sugar.
- 21Refrigerate any unused blintsi.
- 22To reheat again, place in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on HIGH (full power) for about 15 seconds for each one, or place them in a preheated 400 F oven for about 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Blintsi
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.8
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 86.9 mg
- Sodium 454.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 5.2 g