Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A shredded salt cod and vegetable salad. Buljol is a corruption of the French brûle gueule, which means "burn mouth". A popular dish in Trinidad and indeeed throughout the Caribbean. Serve with Mama's Fry Bakes ( St. Vincent and the Grenadines)
- Break fish in pieces and place in saucepan with water and boil 10-15 minutes Drain.
- Taste fish at this point to check salt content. If at this point it is still too salty repeat step 1.
- Shred fish with your fingers.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add onion. Stir in the fish, sweet peppers and hot pepper. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato, mix well and cook until tomatoes are just soft. Add freshly grated black pepper. Squeeze half lime over mixture.
- Serve with , coconut bake or other hearty bread and sliced avocado pear.
I am a Trinidad and i am used to eating saltfish buljol, love love love this recipe i think i am making this for dinner tonight.... thanks for sharing
that is really good ...thanks alot
Rainforest! Ah thank you, thank you for posting this recipe! I haven't tried it as yet, but looking at the ingredients, I know it is simply going to be delicious! I have been looking for a saltfish recipe for a very long time! I was actually singing the song performed by the Mighty Sparrow this week at work! So thank you and I cannot wait to try this "bun mout" recipe as we would call it in St. Thomas, thank you!