Prep 8 hrs
Cook 40 mins
I make this casserole often. It is great for Christmas brunch. Preparation time includes refrigerator time.
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6 slices white bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, brown and crumbel sausage; drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs; add milk, slat and mustard.
- Stir in bread cubes, cheese and sausage.
- Pour into a greased 11 inch x 7 inch x 2 inch baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
This is a holiday favorite and must have for my family. I usually use 7 slices of white bread and a pinch of salt as the sausage is typically salty enough. Great recipe, thanks for sharing!
This is an easy and good recipe. I add a can of mild chopped green chilies. I also like the edges a little crisp, so I cook it at 400 for 20 minutes, then 375 for 30 minutes. Will definitely make it again.
An award winner in our house! This is so delicious. I used Bob Evans Maple Sausage; it's lean and the sweetness played nicely off the savory cheese. Only one suggestion: make sure you sprinkle the dry mustard powder over the eggs rather than just dumping it in. The latter results in lumps of mustard powder.