Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a super easy and delicious brunch dish. I found it on Epicurious.com. I made it this weekend and doubled it. I also used cubed hash browns instead of shredded and did not use a glass pan. I think I would add to the cooking time by 5-10 minutes to accomodate these changes. I also omitted the green onion and suggest using O'Brien potatoes as a variation. Everyone loved this. I reheated leftovers the next day and added eggs which was another tasty concoction.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Butter a 8x8 glass pan.
- Cook sausage until browned, breaking up into small pieces.
- Add flour to sausage, then milk.
- Stir until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 5 min.
- Arrange potatoes in prepared dish (no need to thaw).
- Top with 1/3 of onions, 1 C.
- of cheese, 1/3 of onions, sausage mixture and remaining 1/4 of cheese.
- Bake uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 45 min.
- Sprinkle with remaining onions and serve.
This was easy and good. I added 1 tsp seasoned salt , 1tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp cayenne and 1/4 onion (instead of the green onions.
As stated, this is super easy. We make this often, especially during the holidays when we have guests. Put it together the night before and throw it in the oven the next morning. Serve with scrambled eggs. From Bon Appetit, November 1997.
This is a really good dish. We like to serve it with scrambled eggs and biscuits. It can also be made ahead, which makes it even easier. Thanks for posting.