Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My grandma and dad made this in the family restaurant..way before we knew how bad it was for us. It is really great for a treat, though..especially over biscuits. The amounts are approximate..I never have measured..
- brown and crumble the italian and pork sausage in a big pot.
- Cook and crumble the bacon and add to the pot with some of the drippings.
- Add the butter or margarine if there is not a lot of grease.
- DO NOT DRAIN.
- Add the flour to the pan with the sausage to make a sort of roux.
- Cook over medium low for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the milk and cook for about 10-15 minutes until thick.
- Thin with milk as needed.
- Season with some of the ham base, salt, and pepper as you desire.
Delicious! I made this for breakfast at camp, multiplying the recipe to use 1 gallon and 4 cups of milk. It made way too much for 20 servings, we probably got 80 servings out of it. So, I think 6 servings is a bit too generous, it should be more like 12 or 24 - one recipe would probably have been enough for 20 :) Aside from having way too much gravy - they loved it! It tasted great, even the next day reheated. It took over an hour to make, because that much milk took forever to come to a boil, but I expected that. Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe!