Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My grandma and dad made this in the family restaurant..way before we knew how bad it was for us. It is really great for a treat, though..especially over biscuits. The amounts are approximate..I never have measured..
- brown and crumble the italian and pork sausage in a big pot.
- Cook and crumble the bacon and add to the pot with some of the drippings.
- Add the butter or margarine if there is not a lot of grease.
- DO NOT DRAIN.
- Add the flour to the pan with the sausage to make a sort of roux.
- Cook over medium low for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the milk and cook for about 10-15 minutes until thick.
- Thin with milk as needed.
- Season with some of the ham base, salt, and pepper as you desire.
Delicious! I made this for breakfast at camp, multiplying the recipe to use 1 gallon and 4 cups of milk. It made way too much for 20 servings, we probably got 80 servings out of it. So, I think 6 servings is a bit too generous, it should be more like 12 or 24 - one recipe would probably have been enough for 20 :) Aside from having way too much gravy - they loved it! It tasted great, even the next day reheated. It took over an hour to make, because that much milk took forever to come to a boil, but I expected that. Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe!