1/1 Photo of Savoury Toast
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. An easy Australian snack that can be served anytime, but is usually part of morning or afternoon tea. It would also work well for breakfast or lunch or a casual party appetizer (like a football game). I've substituted veggie bacon and low-fat cheddar for regular but you can use regular if you prefer. It has an interesting ingredient, relish, that gave it a unique taste. Found it on the internet at an Australian recipe site. No. of servings assume 2 slices of bread per person.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb imitation bacon, chopped (such as Morningstar Farms)
- 3/4 cup tomato, chopped
- 2/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 lb low-fat cheddar cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup relish
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce or 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 12 slices white bread (dense)
- 1Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius (325 degrees F.) and place the 12 slices of bread on cookie sheets.
- 2Mix the remaining ingredients together and spread liberally over each slice of bread.
- 3Bake for 30 minutes, or until bread is toasted and mixture is set.
- 4Remove from oven, cut into halves or quarters, and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savoury Toast
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.3
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 39.2 mg
- Sodium 1175.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 13.9 g