1/5 Photos of Sourdough Apple Oatmeal Spice Bread
4 hrs 45 mins
Donna M.'s Note:
I love eating this bread for breakfast. It is actually pretty healthy, too. Chopped walnuts or pecans can be added, if you wish. This recipe is one of my original creations.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup steel cut oats
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups dried apples, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces (one package)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups sourdough starter (active and bubbly, consistency of thick batter)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1 (3/4 ounce) packet hot spiced cider mix (single serving size)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup rolled wheat flakes
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour (may need a bit more)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1Bring the 3/4 cup of water to boil in a saucepan.
- 2Stir in the oats, turn heat to low and cover pan.
- 3Cook for 8 minutes, then cool to lukewarm.
- 4Place dried apples into a bowl or glass measuring cup and pour 1/3 cup water over them.
- 5Cover the container with a plate or plastic wrap and microwave for 1 minute.
- 6Set aside, with cover intact, and let cool.
- 7In a large mixing bowl, combine starter, water, milk powder, cider mix, sugar and butter.
- 8Stir in the cooled oats and apples.
- 9Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until it is a shaggy mass.
- 10Turn out onto a lightly oiled surface and fold the dough over onto itself repeatedly until it is supple and elastic.
- 11This dough should be quite soft and tacky, so don't add a lot of extra flour.
- 12Let the dough rest for 30 minutes, then fold it like a letter, turn 90 degrees and fold again.
- 13Wait another 30 minutes and repeat the foldings.
- 14Cover dough and let it rise until it is not quite doubled.
- 15Divide the dough into two portions and shape into loaves.
- 16Place in two loaf pans, about 4" x 8" that have been greased.
- 17Cover and proof until dough crests about 1" above rim of pans.
- 18Bake loaves at 375°F for about 45 minutes, rotating loaves halfway through the bake time for even browning.
- 19Turn bread out of pans onto a cooling rack immediately upon removing from oven.
- 20Cool at least 1 hour before slicing.
- 21Serve toasted or cold--I like to make a cream cheese spread by mixing some more of the spiced cider mix (to taste) into cream cheese.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Apple Oatmeal Spice Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1677.5
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 57.4 mg
- Sodium 2628.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 324.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.8 g
- Sugars 69.3 g
- Protein 40.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hot spiced cider mix