I love Spanakopita. This recipe appeals to me because it has the basic tastes, without all the carbs. Makes a great breakfast, lunch or dinner. Recipe was gathered from an unknown source and put here for safe-keeping.
- 4 cups fresh spinach or 8 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese, any variety
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 teaspoons dill
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse and drain spinach. Put the spinach in a large pot with no additional water (the water clinging to the leaves from rinsing will be enough), and cover and steam it over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the spinach in a colander. While it’s cooling, heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the red and green onions and sauté until tender – about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Squeeze the excess water out of the spinach leaves, chop them coarsely (if you have kitchen shears, you can cut up the spinach right in the colander), and put the spinach in a mixing bowl. Add the onions, ricotta cheese, eggs, herbs and spices and stir well. Mix in the feta cheese last so it will stay fairly chunky.
- Place in a greased 9x9 pan. Bake at 350°F for approximately 45 minutes (until firm). Cut into 8 pieces.