Great brunch dish, or a light dinner entree. The better quality feta you use, the better this will taste. Use 12-inch springform tart pan or springform pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, cold,cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 6 -8 tablespoons ice water
- 3⁄4 cup shredded gruyere cheese (or Swiss or whatever)
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup diced scallion, green and white part
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2⁄3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces feta
- brined kalamata olive, for garnish
- 1 sprig dill, for garnish
- Pastry- put all the dry ingredients into the food processor.
- Pulse a few times, then add the butter, then pulse a few more times until the butter is in pea sized chunks.
- Beat the egg into 3 tbl.
- of the water and add to the mix, pulsing a few more times.
- Add more water as needed to get the dough to just come together, a tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition.
- Turn the dough out onto plastic wrap, knead once or twice, pat flat and chill for about an hour.
- Pull out of the fridge, roll out on a floured board until it will fit into the tart pan (or the standard springform pan, with 2 inches of dough going up the side).
- Trim the edges, prick the bottom several times with a fork, and lay a piece of foil across the bottom weighted down with beans or pennies.
- Blind bake at 425 degrees or about 8 minutes or so, remove the foil and beans, bake a few minutes longer or until the crust gets rid of any sheen and looks dull.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the gruyere, and set aside.
- Decrease the oven heat to 375 degrees.
- Filling: Drain the spinach and squeeze it dry.
- Saute the onion and scallions and a small pinch of kosher salt in the butter and oil until soft.
- Add the spinach and saute until completely wilted, (about 3 minutes or so).
- Add the dill and pepper and saute another 2 minutes.
- Set the mixture aside to cool completely.
- Whisk the eggs, then add the half-n-half, the cream and mix well.
- Crumble the feta into the spinach, then add to the cream mixture.
- Mix until well combined, the pour into the prepared tart shell.
- Place the tart pan on another baking sheet and bake until the filling is slightly puffed, light brown, and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes before removing from the tart pan.
- Garnish with olives and dill sprigs.