Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
Strawberries and lavender are a wonderful combination. Not only that the jam is tasting great, it has also a great flavor, which fills the air, when you open the glass. Can there be something better than breakfast with such a jam? In this method I use Dr. Oetker's "Gelling Sugar", which already contains pectin. The "Super Gelling Sugar 3:1" reduces the amount of needed sugar to 1/3 of the fruit weight. This makes the jam not so sweet and very fruity and fresh. This jam is best when made with fresh lavender inflorescences while still flowering. I have enough lavender in the garden.
- For this recipe you need 1.5 kg cleaned and hulled strawberries.
- Cut the strawberries into pieces and put into a suited pot.
- Add sugar and lime juice. Mix and let stand for 2 hours.
- Bind the lavender sprigs with the inflorescences together. Add to the strawberries.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat stirring all the time.
- Let cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Then remove from heat and remove the lavender.
- Add 4 tablespoons of orange juice. If you like you can mash now the strawberries as you would like them in your jam.
- Fill into twist off preserving jars and close jars. Let stand for 1 minute and then turn up side down. Let stand for 10 minutes and turn over again. Let cool completely.
- NOTE on lavender: I use lavender inflorescences while flowering. I cut the leaving about 15cm of the sprig at the inflorescence. If you can't get fresh lavender you can sub it by about 8 teaspoons of dried lavender flowers (but that is a guess).
- NOTE on "Dr. Oetker's Super Gelling Sugar 3:1". Dr. Oetker is a well known brand in Germany. There are several gelling sugars available. The "3:1" super gelling sugar already contains pectin and you only need 1/3 of sugar. If you can't get it, you could also use Dr. Oetker's 2:1 super gelling sugar.
Review is for New Zealanders..A bit strong in flavour.. I used the lavender spicata.. the english one that's used for pot pourri etc.. maybe NZ has extra strong lavender? It overpowered the strawberries to the point you could call it " lavender' jam. I will make it again, however, will halve the lavender. It set well and gets 10 stars for every other quality :) Thankyou.... Allie
thanks for this great recipe! we dont have dr oetker here in nz, but i used a pectin geller and the same amount of sugar that you stated, and the jam came out very fresh and tasty! way way better than anything you could buy. the lavender fell apart the first time i made it and had to fish each stem out so i didnt use it the second time. we keep making this for our friends as gifts :)