A savory scone sure to please.
Make and share this Sun-Dried Tomato, Basil and Black Pepper Scones recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, well drained and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- olive oil or melted butter
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Stir together dry ingredients and herbs; first 7 ingredients.
- Blend in butter to look like coarse cornmeal.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Mix milk with egg; stir into flour mixture until moist.
- Gentily knead 8 to 10 turns; then pat into 6" circle on ungreased baking sheet.
- Cut 8 wedges and separate slightly.
- Bake until golden 15 - 20 minutes.
- Brush with seasoned olive oil or melted butter.
Whole family loved these! Even DS, who has gotten burned out on sun-dried tomatoes. I cut mine in eighths, as we like more in smaller sizes than fewer large ones. Used all the ingredients as listed, but I also had just under a half pound of bacon to use up. So, I trimmed it, diced it & cooked it before adding to the dry ingredients along with the sun-dried tomatoes. Thanks for posting, GailAnn! Made & enjoyed for ZWT-6 Team Xtra Hot Dishes! :)
These were great. We made little mini scones and served them up as appetizers with some garlic butter. The sundried tomato flavor was very nice and the mix of herbs worked well together. Our tomatoes were packed in oil with herbs so I cut back on the parsley and basil just a bit. Yummy!
Wonderful! This was my first attempt at scones, and they turned out beautifully. Great blend of flavors and so light and fluffy :) The only thing I will change next time is to break them down into 10-12 scones. 6 were quite large for us. Thanks for a great recipe! Made for ZWT6.