1/6 Photos of Sunshine Toast in the Oven
From a kids' cookbook and the house specialty of our 9 yr old daughter, this is an oven-baked variation on eggs cooked in the middle of toast. We like it because it's easy enough that the girls can do it on their own (no spattering grease in a frying pan) and because we can do up to a dozen at a time for sleep-overs and such (6 slices fit on an average cookie sheet). The girls have fun picking out which cookie cutters to use for their toast, especially when they can match them to a holiday/season (trees, stars, & angels in the winter, bunnies and flowers in the spring, etc). Bake the cutouts alongside for fun little munchie toast shapes. Don't use very large eggs, though, or they will overrun the toast!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease a cookie sheet with margarine or veg spray (we use sheets with raised edges, just in case the egg runs under the toast).
- 2Butter the top of the slice of bread and place butter-side up on the cookie sheet.
- 3Choose a large cookie cutter in desired shape and press down hard in the center of the bread.
- 4Remove shape from center of bread, place alongside on cookie sheet, butter-side up.
- 5Crack egg into a small bowl or saucer and gently slide into the hole in the center of the bread.
- 6Bake approx 7 minutes on the top rack of 400F oven (or longer to desired doneness).
- 7Carefully remove to plate with spatula and serve with cutout shapes alongside.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunshine Toast in the Oven
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 148.4
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 251.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 8.2 g