1/4 Photos of Swedish Pancakes
These are very thin and crepe like but are heavier. They have a very smooth texture. I've read that these may not be authentic Swedish pancakes but the recipe was passed down to my great Grandmother Helen from my Swedish great great Grandmother Maria. It is over 100 years old...possibly 150 or more! Some of my Swedish relatives started the famous Svenhards bakery here in California. They no longer own it but their original packages have my great great Aunt Tilda's (Maria's sister) photo on them! There are similar recipes on Zaar but none with these proportions. My family eats them with maple syrup with melted butter in it and boysenberry syrup drizzled over that and then sprinkled with powdered sugar. You can also eat them with fresh fruit or jam. Servings are an estimate...some people eat 3...or some like me can eat 10! *My Grandmother makes these with up to 5 eggs sometimes and does add a pinch or two of salt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix everything in a blender.
- 2**You make these like a crepe but cook both sides. I'm not very good at it so my directions may not be right on -- I'm writing this from past observation -- I use a crepe maker and only cook one side.**.
- 3Fill a large pot halfway with water and set to simmer. Place a heat proof plate on top of the pot -- You can stack the pancakes on it to keep them warm as you're making more.
- 4Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Grease it lightly with butter.
- 5Pour a small amount of batter (tablespoon or 2) in the center of the skillet and tilt it in a circular pattern so that it coats the whole bottom in a very thin layer, like a crepe.
- 6Cook it until solid and flip it over. It should be lightly browned on each side. Stack them on the warmed plate.
- 7To serve them you fold them into thirds and put toppings over them. Or you can fill them like a crepe.
- 8I hope you enjoy them as much as I do! I wish I had the knack for making them.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.9
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 217.5 mg
- Sodium 339.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 13.8 g