This is a recipe from "The Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking"! I love sweet potatoes and I love corn bread! Bon Apetite!
- Bring sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (about 2 or 3 medium potatoes) to a boil, covered with water, in a medium saucepan. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, until tender.
- Drain thoroughly and press through a strainer into a bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Sift together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add the egg and buttermilk to the sweet potato puree and mix until well blended.
- In a 8 or 9 - inch ovenproof skillet, heat the butter until just sizzling - about 2 minutes. Swirl the butter in the pan to coat it well. Pour any excess butter into the sweet potato mixture.
- Quickly add the cornmeal mixture to the sweet potato mixture and stir until blended and pour the batter into the skillet.
- Bake for 20 or 30 minutes, until lightly golden and the corn bread has pulled away from the sides of the pan. Remove from the oven and cut into wedges.
- Serve hot!