1/4 Photos of Sweet Potato Corn Bread
This is a recipe from "The Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking"! I love sweet potatoes and I love corn bread! Bon Apetite!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (about 2 or 3 medium potatoes) to a boil, covered with water, in a medium saucepan. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, until tender.
- 2Drain thoroughly and press through a strainer into a bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- 3Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 4Sift together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, pepper, and nutmeg.
- 5Add the egg and buttermilk to the sweet potato puree and mix until well blended.
- 6In a 8 or 9 - inch ovenproof skillet, heat the butter until just sizzling - about 2 minutes. Swirl the butter in the pan to coat it well. Pour any excess butter into the sweet potato mixture.
- 7Quickly add the cornmeal mixture to the sweet potato mixture and stir until blended and pour the batter into the skillet.
- 8Bake for 20 or 30 minutes, until lightly golden and the corn bread has pulled away from the sides of the pan. Remove from the oven and cut into wedges.
- 9Serve hot!
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Corn Bread
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.9
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 51.7 mg
- Sodium 698.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 4.4 g