Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My entry for Ready, Set, Cook contest #3. Was hungry for "breakfast" for supper on night and this just kind of materialized. We like it and hope you do too! Times do not include refrigeration and setting time, so adapt accordingly please.
- 8 slices very dry cinnamon-raisin bread
- 1⁄2 lb sweet pork sausage, browned and drained (use maple flavored or brown sugar or apple cinnamon flavored)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 (11 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 5 -6 firm bananas
- Grease 8x8 square baking dish.
- Fit 4 bread slices into the bottom of the pan.
- Crumble sausage over the bread in the pan.
- Top with remaining 4 slices bread.
- Beat eggs together then add the milk, cinnamon and ginger.
- Pour over the bread in the pan, covering completely.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before baking.
- Bake at 350°F for 60 minutes or just until the middle is set.
- After casserole has baked for 35 minutes, start making the banana sauce.
- Melt stick of butter over medium heat in a skillet.
- Stir in the brown sugar and heat until bubbly, stirring so as not to stick or burn.
- Reduce heat to low and slice bananas about 1/4 inch thick into the skillet.
- Continue to cook and stir occasionally until bananas are reducing in size and are becoming caramelized.
- Keep sauce warm.
- Remove casserole from oven and let set for 5 minutes.
- Cut into squares and top with warm banana sauce ladled over the top.