1 hr 15 mins
My entry for Ready, Set, Cook contest #3. Was hungry for "breakfast" for supper on night and this just kind of materialized. We like it and hope you do too! Times do not include refrigeration and setting time, so adapt accordingly please.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices very dry cinnamon-raisin bread
- 1/2 lb sweet pork sausage, browned and drained (use maple flavored or brown sugar or apple cinnamon flavored)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 (11 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 5 -6 firm bananas
- 1Grease 8x8 square baking dish.
- 2Fit 4 bread slices into the bottom of the pan.
- 3Crumble sausage over the bread in the pan.
- 4Top with remaining 4 slices bread.
- 5Beat eggs together then add the milk, cinnamon and ginger.
- 6Pour over the bread in the pan, covering completely.
- 7Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- 8Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before baking.
- 9Bake at 350°F for 60 minutes or just until the middle is set.
- 10After casserole has baked for 35 minutes, start making the banana sauce.
- 11Melt stick of butter over medium heat in a skillet.
- 12Stir in the brown sugar and heat until bubbly, stirring so as not to stick or burn.
- 13Reduce heat to low and slice bananas about 1/4 inch thick into the skillet.
- 14Continue to cook and stir occasionally until bananas are reducing in size and are becoming caramelized.
- 15Keep sauce warm.
- 16Remove casserole from oven and let set for 5 minutes.
- 17Cut into squares and top with warm banana sauce ladled over the top.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Sausage French Toast Casserole With Caramelized Bananas
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.9
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 181.3 mg
- Sodium 285.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 37.3 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet pork sausage