Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I changed the recipe from a bread machine recipe book I have to make it a little healthier and taste a little better for the kids. This makes one EXTRA LARGE loaf. This bread is GREAT with honey, or toasted and add peanut butter, or for peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Also, makes a good dessert when toasted, buttered, and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar! Try this sometime for breakfast when you are making french toast!!! :) Mmmmmmm....
- 1 1⁄3 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cups unbleached bread flour
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins (approximately)
- 2⁄3 cup bread flour (approximately)
- In a small sauce pan bring about 3/4 cup water to a boil.
- Add 1 cup of raisins to the boiling water and remove from heat.
- Give the raisins and water a stir and then set them aside until they are room temperature.
- Add all ingredients except for raisins to your bread machine in the order specified by the manufacturer. My machine calls for wet ingredients first, but I had another that called for dry ingredients first.
- Set your bread machine for the appropriate size loaf on the wheat setting. Begin cycle.
- Drain the room temperature rehydrated raisins and measure them, add enough dried raisins to make 2 cups total if you are making the extra large loaf.
- When your bread machine has a good ball of dough circulating for a while, dump in your raisins. Watch carefully and add flour as needed until a good ball of dough is once again circulating.
- When your bread is finished baking let it cool completely before slicing.