Cook1 hr 5 mins
This recipe comes from the 2002 cookbook, Mediterranean Street Food, & it makes one of the most common, yet one of the tastiest of Spanish omelets. This omelet will serve 4-6 as an appetizer, or just 2 as a main course. Preparation time does not include the chopping or dicing of the vegetables.
- In an 8 1/2-inch skillet, put the oil & place over medium-low heat. When oil is hot, add potatoes & cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion & cook another 20-30 minutes, or until the potatoes & onion are completely done & lightly golden.
- Pour excess oil into a small bowl & set aside.
- Put vegetables in a larger bowl, then pour the beaten eggs over the veggies, season to taste with salt & pepper & stir carefully to combine.
- WIPE THE SKILLET CLEAN, then pour the reserved oil back into the skillet. Place over medium heat &, when oil is hot, pour the egg-&-vegetable mixture into it.
- Shake the pan to spread this mixture evenly & cook for 7-10 minutes, or until the bottom is golden.
- Carefully slide a spatula along the sides & underneath the omelet to make sure it is not sticking, then place a plate over the pan. Hold it tightly with one hand & turn the pan over with the other hand. Then slide the tortilla back into the pan & cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until the bottom is set but the inside still slightly moist.
- Serve warm or at room temperature & enjoy!
Great egg dish - hearty and delicious! I left out the onions and was generous with the pepper. Very clear directions made this easy and mine came out perfectly. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Delicious! I followed the recipe as written to make this. In the past I've always used a nonstick pan to make Spanish omelets. This time I used my new stainless pan which didn't work out as well as I'd hoped so in future it'll be back to nonstick which will also allow me to reduce the oil. Made for 1~2~3 Hits Tag.
Super tasty omelet. I halved the recipe and only used 1 tbsp of oil, 1 cup of potatoes and a bit extra onion. The potato and onion flavour really shines through and it is a dish you would have been happy to have been served in a restaurant. I do feel that reducing the oil by 50% worked really well, it would have been too greasy for me if I had used the full amount. The filp worked well, I followed the direction and used a plate to turn the omelet over. I served it with a sliced up tomato. Just wonderful. Made for PRMR Tag game.